Jan 31, 2023
The business administration curriculum allows sufficient flexibility for adaptation to a student’s particular interests and goals. A minimum of 122 hours is required for the B.S.B.A. degree in all majors except accounting, operations and supply chain, international business and the entrepreneurship concentration of management,* all of which require a higher number of hours as outlined in the bulletin. The required hours are divided between business administration and Carolina Core courses in english, history, foreign languages, natural and behavioral sciences, and other disciplines. All business administration students are required to earn 40 hours in a common core sequence of business subjects. The major field for all majors requires 12-24 hours beyond the common business core. All business majors require a minimum of 21 hours of upper level business coursework in addition to the common business core. If a major is less than 21 hours, the difference shall be made up with advisor-approved upper level business electives. A minimum of 18 credit hours in additional directed course work is required.
The school has developed options designed to complement core and major requirements. Information and assistance in the development and selection of options are available through the advising facilities of the school.
*The accounting major requires 24 hours. International business and the entrepreneurship concentration of management require a second major within business. Those major combinations range from 27 to 39 hours, depending on the double major selected.
- Students should understand the role of management and managers in building an effective organization.
- Students should understand the role of research in improving managerial practice.
- Students should be able to apply management principles to determine how managers should respond to particular challenges or opportunities confronting an organization.
- Students should be able to effectively communicate management principles or the application of those principles to particular organizational circumstances.
Degree Requirements (122-128 Hours)
Management Major Requirements (12-15 Hours)
See Darla Moore School of Business for entrance requirements, progression requirements, and other regulations.
- Carolina Core Requirements (31-43 Hours)
- Business Core (40 Hours)
- Approved Electives (3-12 Hours)
- Upper-level Business Courses to include major/s (minimum 21 Hours for Human Resources; 27 Hours for Entrepreneurship)
- Directed Course Work or Minor (minimum of 18 Hours)
- Optional Business Analytics Concentration (12 Hours)
- Internationalization Requirement/Overlay (9 Hours)
Double Major: All students selecting Entrepreneurship as the concentration in Management are required to complete a second major in business.
1. Carolina Core (31-43 Hours)
CMW: Carolina Core Effective, Engaged and Persuasive Communication: Writing (6 Hours)
ARP: Carolina Core Analytical Reasoning and Problem-Solving (6-8 Hours)
SCI: Carolina Core Scientific Literacy (7 Hours)
- Two approved Carolina Core Scientific Literacy courses including one laboratory course
GFL: Global Citizenship and Multicultural Understanding: Foreign Language (0-8 hours)
- Students shall demonstrate in one Foreign Language the ability to comprehend the topic and the main ideas in written and, with the exception of Latin and Ancient Greek, spoken texts on familiar subjects. This ability can be demonstrated by achieving a score of two or better on a USC foreign language test. Those failing to do so much satisfactorily complete equivalent study of foreign language at USC.
GHS: Carolina Core Global Citizenship and Multicultural Understanding: Historical Thinking (3 Hours)
- Any approved Carolina Core History course
GSS: Carolina Core Global Citizenship and Multicultural Understanding: Social Sciences (3 Hours)
- Any approved Carolina Core Social Science course
AIU: Carolina Core Aesthetic and Interpretive Understanding (3 Hours)
- Any approved Carolina Core Aesthetic and Interpretive Understanding course
CMS: Carolina Core Effective, Engaged, and Persuasive Communication: Speech (3 hours)
- Any approved Carolina Core Speech course
INF: Carolina Core Information Literacy (0-3 Hours)
- This requirement may be met in an overlay course that combines learning outcomes from two Carolina Core components
VSR: Carolina Core Values, Ethics, and Social Responsibility (3 hours)
- Any approved Carolina Core Values, Ethics, and Social Responsibility course. This requirement may be met in an overlay course that combines learning outcomes from two Carolina Core components.
2. Business Core (40 Hours)
3. Approved Electives (3-12 Hours)
All students must complete 3 hours in Approved Electives not to include coursework in PEDU or MATH/STAT below the Moore School minimum requirements (ex. MATH 111 or STAT 110).
If a student exempts the foreign language requirement or fulfills Carolina Core requirements with overlay courses, those credit hours must be replaced with approved elective credits. Students are strongly encouraged to take a business section of UNIV 101 to fulfill elective hours.
4. Upper-level Business Courses to include Major (minimum 21 Hours)
Human Resources and Organizational Leadership (15 Hours)
Students must take 15 hours from the following list of courses:
In fulfilling the 15-hour requirement, students must take MGMT 374 and at least one of the following courses:
Upper Level Business Courses (0-6 hours)
Students with a single major in Management with a concentration in Human Resources and Organizational Leadership must complete additional upper level (300-level or above) business/economics course work for a total of 21 hours, including the major hours. Students may choose to double major or pursue a business analytics concentration to fulfill this requirement.
Entrepreneurship (12 Hours)
Double Major: Students selecting Entrepreneurship as a major are required to select a second, non-Management major in business.
5. Minor or Directed Course Work (minimum of 18 Hours)
Directed course work may be selected from a University-wide list of approved minors. The minor is normally a minimum of 18 hours of prescribed courses in one subject area. Students not selecting such a minor may submit an alternative program of study to their Moore School academic advisor to satisfy the approved course work requirement. All minor courses or courses approved as alternatives must be passed with a grade of C or better.
7. Internationalization Requirement (9 Hours)
The program also requires 9 hours of course work with international content that may be used to fulfill other degree requirements. Three hours must be taken from an approved list of courses offered by the Moore School of Business which contain international business or international economics content. The following course options can also be used to satisfy the 3 credit hours of this requirement: approved course work containing international business or international economics content, taken at a semester abroad program; an approved Maymester or summer overseas course containing international business or international economics content; an approved internship course in international business wherein a student would obtain discipline-related work experience in a foreign country; or an approved service-learning component. Students may choose from one of the following options to complete the remaining 6-hour requirement:
- Two language courses at the 200 level or above
- Two approved courses with international content taken either inside or outside the Moore School of Business from a list available in the undergraduate office.